Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tune in next time for "Hail to the victors" or "Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame"

It's been over a thousand miles and I'm titling posts with homages to Rocky and Bullwinkle...let's just say that I shouldn't have this much time alone with my thoughts. Anyway, today I wrapped up my impromptu college football pilgrimage today with visits to Michigan and Notre Dame.

First up was Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, the Big House.




It was raining, and the field was covered in preparation for graduation, but it was pretty awesome. It wasn't nearly as big vertically as I'd imagined a 100,000+ capacity stadium would be, but it wasn't hard to picture that many people in there. It was built in 1927 and felt like it could have looked exactly like it did today way back then. Very cool.

After a cheese steak at Mr. Spot's for lunch, it was off to South Bend. The toll road that runs east to west across northern Indiana (I-80 and I-90, cleverly-named the Indiana Toll Road) was closed due to an accident this morning, so I was forced onto US 20 from Angola into South Bend. It was extremely slow going with all the normal Toll Road traffic on the mostly two-lane road, but I did get to drive through some Amish country around Lagrange. You know you're going slow when you get passed by a horse-drawn buggy. But I digress...

I got an in-depth Notre Dame athletic facility tour from fellow women's hoops SID Chris, highlighted by the ridiculously-nice new football building which features hands down the nicest weight room I have ever seen. Carolina's football weight room is nice, but this place blows it out of the water. I was unable to actually enter Notre Dame Stadium due to construction (glad to know it's not just Chapel Hill), so I decided to walk around campus a bit.

After taking the requisite picture of Touchdown Jesus, I ventured toward the center of campus. With all due respect to Carolina (and UVa for that matter), I can't imagine a place looking more collegiate than Notre Dame. A very intimate, walkable campus with just the right combination of really old buildings and well-landscaped nature. And in the middle of it all, the famed Main Building, which you may recognize...


I made a quick pit stop at the bookstore for my first T-shirt of the trip before heading west toward Lake Michigan. It was still kind of rainy (and newly-foggy) as I got closer to Chicago, so I decided to call it a night in Portage, Ind., before driving into the city tomorrow. There is some clearing in the forecast, so hopefully I can spend most of the day walking around Chicago.

With that, good night from the Central Time Zone. Here's hoping this is the dumbest thing I do on the trip. (What can I say, I couldn't let my dad be the only one to lose money tonight).

3 comments:

Harper said...

Chitown: If you want a view go Hancock not Sears. Go to Ditka's for the hell of it. If you can't fit a White Sox game in, I'd suggest Second City.

Cockadoodle dudes.

Diana Myers said...

Bobby,
Your Dad, just showed me your site for your travels. It is amazing!! I am so impressed that you would tackle this long journey. (I have trouble getting to China Grove and back!!)

I pray for your safe journey and I look forward to keeping up with you.

Love you loads,
Aunt Di

Mom said...

Hey bud!
I finally got Dad to show me how I could communicate with you!

We are thouroughly enjoying the daily updates!!

Be safe!

Love you