Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top

Day one is in the books, and I'm no worse for the wear so far. After a late-afternoon arrival in Knoxville I met up with my first special guest of the trip, my friend Jessica. Her photography class was shooting the Tennessee Smokies game, so naturally I tagged along. It had been a long time since I was the one wearing a media credential instead of issuing one.


As you can see, plenty of good seats were still available at cleverly-named Smokies Park, but it was a perfect night for baseball. The home team lost to Mobile 6-1, but we did get the highlight of Harry Caray sound bytes on the PA throughout (Tennessee is a Cubs affiliate), including the classic, "That would have been a home run in a phone booth!"

Today I'm off to Ann Arbor with a stop in lovely Cincinnati. So I bid farewell to Jessica and the awesome Gizmo the Jack Russell and head north on I-75.

2 comments:

Casey said...

Jason says you should walk down State Street toward campus from the athletic dept. (or vice versa), eat at Mr. Spots and get a shake at Pizza Bob's (you can, apparently, mix and match shake flavors). He says not to get that backwards because Spots doesn't have shakes and the food sucks at Pizza Bob's.

dantheheel said...

http://deadspin.com/sports/college-football/following-college-football-one-stadium-at-a-time-255184.php

change your plans man...you've got this