Sunday, April 29, 2007

On Wisconsin!

Saturday would have to qualify as my first lazy day, as I drove only about an hour from Milwaukee to Madison. Two highlights from the day were a tour of Miller Park and seeing State Street in downtown Madison.

Miller Park was as cool as I'd expected, one of the wave of really nice new parks (this one opened on Opening Day 2001) - not as nice as PNC in Pittsburgh but definitely nicer than Citizens Bank in Philly.




The tour was solid (I just walked up at 3 and, lo and behold, the last tour started at 3). I got to sit in Bob Uecker's chair, walk through the visiting dugout and walk out onto the field, pretty much everything you'd want to do on a tour. One thing that stood out was how close the press box was to the field. Here's the view:

After that I made the short drive west to Madison, the state capital and home of the University of Wisconsin. State Street is the main drag down town and features a very cool view of the Capitol Building.

I'm planning to walk around the city and campus a little more today and get some better pictures. After that, it's off to the Twin Cities for the night. The hardcore road-tripping starts soon, these states aren't getting any smaller.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My boss said that UW-Madison has a really nice bar on campus, which I can only guess would be state-funded. That is awesome.