Saturday, April 28, 2007

Schlemiel! Schlemazl! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!

(Ed. note: Sorry for the late post today, I had some Internet issues at the hotel.)

So the plan for Friday was to spend the afternoon walking around Chicago, which I have been told is one of the great cities in the country. Well, the weather decided not to cooperate, as a heavy cloud cover and the wind made for very unpleasant walking around conditions.


After a quick lunch in Wrigleyville, I called my first audible of the trip, closing out Chicago early and heading north to Milwaukee (I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't make an Alice Cooper joke, and I'm sticking to my guns).

Naturally I'm going with a "when in Rome" approach for this trip, so I figured what better to do in Milwaukee than tour a brewery. The lateness of my arrival in town left me with but one option, the Lakefront Brewery. While I'm sure the big breweries are great, the Lakefront tour was awesome. It's a small place (they claim to brew as much beer in a year as Miller spills in a shift) but has two awesome features - three fermenting tanks painted to look like the Three Stooges and this...

That, friends, is the original chalet that housed Bernie Brewer at old County Stadium. Needless to say, I am now a lifelong fan of the Lakefront Brewery.

I met some locals (Tim, Ryan and Jennie if memory serves) on the tour, and they let me tag along with them for the rest of the night. We went to their friend Thor's (!) house before hanging out in downtown Milwaukee. It really tells you something about a city when you can meet strangers and go meet their friend Thor.

But now I must continue on, traveling to Madison (perhaps back through Chicago, we'll see how it goes) for the night before getting to the Twin Cities on Sunday. Thanks to anyone who is reading this and for all well-wishes being sent my way.

And special thanks to my new friends for a night in Milwaukee, your hospitality will be remembered fondly.

No comments: