Saturday, May 5, 2007

Things to do in Idaho when you're dead

Dead tired, that is. Evidently communing with nature is exhausting, as I was in a funk all day Friday. But have no fear, dear readers. I made the drive from Butte to lovely Coeur D'Alene, Idaho without any trouble, despite some intermittent snow showers.

Before grabbing lunch I made a quick stop at the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, a National Historic Site that has preserved an old Montana cattle ranch. This turned out to be an unexpected highlight (I hadn't even heard of it until I saw the sign), as the views were amazing and it was awesome getting to see what life on the ranch must have been like over a hundred years ago.


I stopped in Missoula, Mont., for lunch, and did a quick drive through the campus of the University of Montana. It's amazing how much nicer a very bland campus can look when surrounded by mountains.


After a spicy grilled cheese with sweet potato fries at the Iron Horse (great value at $5.95), I made the 165-mile drive to Coeur D'Alene, where I stayed for the night. I'll take some pictures of the lake that shares a name with the town today, but it was another in a long line of beautiful towns here in the west.

No real plan for today, so if you have suggestions, give me a call. Also, I'm now in the Pacific Time Zone for a few days, rounding out the four time zones here on the Drive For 5-0.

Also, no new states yesterday, but Idaho is now red on the bobbymap.

No comments: