Monday, May 7, 2007

I'm fresh out of witty titles

Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, today was my day to enjoy Vancouver, the only non-American city on this here journey. So after a lazy morning of watching the Braves, I headed out (and this will shock you, considering this is the Pacific Northwest) into the rain to see the city.

Vancouver is basically a giant peninsula, and the downtown is essentially another peninsula off that. So after I cracked that code and got the right bridge into downtown (driving without a map is a whole new experience on this trip), I parked to grab lunch.

I ate at Prima Taste, a restaurant that specializes in food from Singapore. Best that I can tell, it's a chain, but the only ones in North America are in Vancouver and San Jose, Calif. The rest are in Asia, which is fun. So it was something I couldn't get at home, which is basically all I'm looking for when eating on the road. And all the other people in the place looked to be of Asian decent, so I figured that was a good sign that the food was up to par, which it was. I had a chicken and rice dish as well as some curry chicken pastries (kinda like empanadas) which were fantastic.

After that I walked around downtown for a while until the rain chased me off. It was a little disappointing to miss out on really getting a good look at the city, but lucky for me there was an alternative.

I headed over to the Vancouver Art Gallery where they had an exhibit featuring, wait for it, photos of Vancouver. It was a great exhibit and it was neat watching the locals go through the photos pointing out places they'd been. Sort of a fun firsthand/secondhand way to see the city.

I then left downtown to drive through the campus of the University of British Columbia. With the crummy weather, I didn't have it in me to take any pictures, but it looked like a pretty standard college campus. There was a good looking golf course right at the edge of campus, which is always a good sign.

After another extremely annoying trip across the border, I was back in the United States. I'm holed up in Maryville, Wash., for the night before heading into Seattle tomorrow. After a night in Seattle, it's Oregon Tuesday and then...well, that's it, I guess. No more states, mission accomplished. Kind of unbelievable.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Harper said...

Now all the provinces! Sorry but I forgot to tell you to go to Point Roberts, WA. That would have been a great rainy day time waster