Sunday, May 6, 2007

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

The Drive For 5-0 is officially a multinational blog this evening, as tonight I am sleeping in Vancouver, British Columbia, conveniently located in our docile neighbor to the north - Canada. Special thanks to the Canadian member of the International Brotherhood of UNC Sports Information Personnel, David Tinson, for tonight's accommodations (even though he's off in Whistler like a big shot).

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This morning I walked down to the Lake Coeur D'Alene to take some pictures and enjoy the weather. The view along the shore is, well, see for yourself...


After lunch, I hit the road once again, this time headed for Washington, state No. 49. Not much to report from the Evergreen State (I'm saving Seattle for Monday), though there was a great scenic overlook of the Columbia River off I-90 near Vintage. I could definitely picture someone trying to float a covered wagon down that baby.


So another long day of driving is in the books. Tomorrow I'll sink my teeth into Vancouver before heading back to the United States for Seattle on Monday, with the completion of my task on Tuesday in Oregon.

Oh, one last note about today. Crossing the border into Canada is an intimidating process. I have nothing illicit in my car, a perfectly legitimate reason for being here and a passport and I still got nervous when I pulled up to the customs agent. He asked a bunch of rapid fire questions (Where are you going? Why? Who are you going to see? What is his name? How do you know him?) that I had answers to, but it still is an intense experience. I can't imagine what it must be like trying to do something illegal as you cross.

Ok, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hey Bobby,

Since you're nearing Seattle, here are some Seattle suggestions:
Dahlia Lounge - Very good Northwest-style food, but somewhat expensive. It's downtown but not really close to Pike Place Market.
Dahlia Bakery - Next door to Dahlia Lounge, good to-go food like sandwiches and breads.
Top Pot - Excellent doughnuts. Please go there.
Etta's Seafood - I haven't eaten here but several people highly recommended it. A block from Pike Place. The seafood place that Harper and I like in Pike Place, Matt's in the Market, is unfortunately closed for renovation.
Elliot Bay Book Company - Huge independent bookstore in Pioneer Square.

Hope you have an easier time getting back in the US!